Monday, June 16, 2008

While Andy was on his mission he collected an enormous amount of hideously ugly ties. Shortly after we were married he told me he had done it with the hopes of marrying a girl that would make the ties into a quilt for him. I of course laughed at him and asked why then he married me cause I don't do stuff like that!!!! So a few months ago I decided that if I can't do it myself I could hire someone to do it for me!!! So I put an ad online asking for a quilter (which surprisingly finding a quilter in Utah is not an easy task) and I finally found someone that would do it for a resonable price... I had no idea a custom quilt would be so expensive!!
Yesterday morning I woke up and made Andy a breakfast of pancakes and bacon. Then after lunch I gave him his present from Talan first. Talan got him 2 new nice ties. I then gave him a card from Talan that said "I hope you like the new ties I got you, I figured you could use some new ones since mom ruined your old ones". And then I gave him the quilt!!!! This is a video of him opening it. You'll notice the first thing he did was to point to all the ties he wished I didn't cut up. LOL, but really he does like it. He took it over to his mom's yesterday to show off to his whole family. And they all thought I was pretty dang clever!!! Sorry the video isn't the best quality, it was taken with my phone and I was laughing so it is pretty shaky!!



Talan loves the quilt!! He has been snuggling with it ever since Andy opened it.

Photobucket

Here is a close up picture of it. The ties are all so ugly!! But it actually made a pretty good looking quilt!

Photobucket

She also made these three pillows out of the skinny parts of the ties. We are going to give one to Talan, one to Cohen, and one to Abbey (the daughter we'll have in 5 years) so they all have something from Andy's mission.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm so happy with the way it turned out. And Andy loves it which is the best part. He is an AWESOME Dad and deserved to have a good day for it. Ever since I got pregnant he gets up with Talan EVERY MORNING and lets me sleep in. He gets Talan dressed and everything. And Talan really adores him. He is amazing!!!

4 comments:

Alida B. said...

Wow it really did turn out great!! I was so excited to see his reaction! Oh and I just love the pillows and how you are so sure you are gonna have a girl in 5yrs. LOL!

Farmer Family said...

That is so awesome! You are such a good wife! I bet he will treasure it forever. And the pillows are such a great idea!

p.s. Thanks for voting for Hailey!

Brooke said...

What a cool idea. I'm always trying to get my husband to throw away his old mission ties. What is with the tie collections? :)

Jon said...

i would love to defend the tie collection and try to explain why they are not ugly, but I don't think it is something anyone would understand if they don't already. It's one of those things you just get or you don't, like rashes or a cold. I loved the quilt and the pillows, great idea and a great gift!