Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A new chapter...

2 years ago when I had Talan Andy was working in the Target Stock room. He would go to work at 4am and then go to school at the community college in the afternoon. At that time I thought this was how our life would continue until he graduated.
Then Andy randomly got a job cooking at a fancy restaurant downtown. The hours were better, it was closer to home, and it paid way better so he decided to take it. He had always enjoyed cooking, but once he started doing it as a job it was like a light when on inside of him. He was excited everyday to go to work and he started buying all sorts of kitchen gadgets, the food network was slowly starting to replace his ESPN shows.
At the beginning of the year he dropped a bomb on me. He wanted to stop going to SLCC and was going to transfer to The Art Institute to attend their culinary school as well. I must admit that at first I was shocked and scared. I looked at our tiny apartment and thought "oh great how many more years is that going to keep us in this place?"
But as I've watching him prepare for this I have felt an unbelievable peace. This is what he is supposed to do because it is what will make him happy. I admire him for his courage to do this at 26 years old. There are very few people in this world who find a career they LOVE doing, and even fewer that actually get to do it. So it'll be another 2 years of the "college life" for us, even though we have two kids and are way over college age. But the bright side is I get to eat his homework!!! And I'll have a husband who takes pride and joy in his work, which is all I can ask for. Everyone better pay attention, you'll see him on Iron Chef one day... or at least Hell's Kitchen.
I love ya Chef Andy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

Alida B. said...

Andy on Hell's Kitchen...that would be so incredibly entertaining!!!!!

Jana said...

Sarah Thanks for the comment. Look who's talking about families. Your's looks absolutely adorable. I'm so used to girls these days it's fun to see that others are having boys since my poor husband is a bit out numbered although, he and his girls gang up on me an awful lot. It is so nice to hear from you. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my list?

Lyndsie Miles said...

That is so cool! Chris actually encourages people in his job to do what they love. It gives so much freedom to love what one does.

Lesa said...

Oh how fun! Now when Andy goes back to school without his homework...he can say "my wife ate my homework" and it'll be true! I am so glad that Andy has found something that he loves to do and is making it happen!

Sarah said...

If Andy goes to Hell's Kitchen, he best be bringing me back a little something from Chef Ramsay...I have just a little crush! LOL!

Tanya Smith said...

That is awesome! If it makes you feel any better, my husband just turned 34 and is still looking for the perfect job...so you are lucky! Good luck and I'll come visit sometime to test out his skills.

Cynthia Lyn said...

Wow! That is really cool! that sounds like such a fun thing to do. I've wanted to do that somdday, but I live no where near a culinary school, and I have kids that need me. . . maybe when I'm really old.

Tara and Dan said...

I'm so glad he enjoys what he's doing and that he's pursuing it! And, don't worry- you're not way over college age. Dan is 30 and still deciding what he wants to be when he grows up :)

Becca Jo said...

Oh I love hells kitchen. So how goes the apartment business! I'm so glad I'm done with it. Your little baby is so cute! It's good to check up on you and see how you are doing.